This is the story of my first airplane; a 2007 Glasair Sportsman. My dream of owning a plane finally came true on June 1st, 2009, when I flew this wonderful bird from Asheville, NC to NY. This is my story.

Monday, June 15, 2009

The Start of Aircraft Ownership

Well, this is the beginning of my own personal dairy of owning my first airplane. It's been my dream to have my own airplane and as I got older, I realized that if I didn't do it now, I might never do it. The economy is in the tank, and there's all sorts of reasons not to own one, but I wanted to do this before I got too old to fly. 

I started flying when I was in high school, even soloed back in '76, but couldn't justify the expense to continue. Went off to college and got my Aerospace Engineering degree from the University of Michigan in 1980, and hoped to fly after starting my career at Vought in Dallas. Marriage, kids, and two career changes later, I finally got back into flying in 2003 and earned my private and instrument rating not long after. I really enjoy flying. I gives me peace and a sense of accomplishment that no other activity brings. But most of all, it makes me happy.

Next up, the purchase..

3 comments:

  1. You are a lucky guy. I remember seeing this plane at Oshkosh and talking with the owner. It is a beautiful airplane. I wish I could have bought it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My best compliments, very nice plane, I'm an Italian homebuilder and if You decide to sell your Sportsman please advise.
    Regards
    Francesco

    ReplyDelete
  3. After learning the awesomness of a Cub, but the realisim of a young family, I wandered into Glasair Sporter stuff. Oh my word! What an awesome plane! I'd like to hear your input on the plane now that its been awhile. Of all the aircraft I've researched, I think the Glasair Sportsman is the one. Do you still think so?
    Thanks!
    Carl
    (SSGT. Hilton, USMC)

    ReplyDelete